9/30/2012

My Notte Bianca in la Valletta

So as I promised here is the article about the Notte Bianca event from the past Saturday (29th September 2012). For those who don't know what stands behind the title, feel free to check the official Maltese website. Notte Bianca (EN: White Night, FR: Nuit Blanche) is an annually held night-time art-festival celebrating the culture. It's organised worldwide.
The idea is coming from France, from Jean Blaise, who in 1984 founded the Research Center for Cultural development. In 1989 the Finns organised the Night of the Arts in Helsinki, when all the museums and galleries were open 'till late night. Back in France, Jean-Marc Ayrault created a late night cultural event called Les Allumées. Later even other countries and cities followed this idea: Barcelona, St. Petersburg, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Havanna, Berlin, Paris. The festival of art spread around the world with events in over 120 cities, including Valletta. First time it was organized here in 2006 and since that this Saturday was the 6th year anniversary of being held.
Ok that's all about the history, but let's come back to the present. Unfortunatelly I heared about this possibility only late evening on Saturday, which means I missed lot of programs starting from 6pm. But still it wasn't a question for me to get ready in 20 minutes and to go, as I really love this type of social events. Now I know I would regret it for sure. It was already around 22-23pm when we arrived, but the city was still crowded. Hundreds or even thousands of people walking around the streets of Valletta. At some point of view it's kinda annyoying, but I still love it. Everywhere I looked there were little shops opened full of colors or sellers with tables standing on the street. I just love to stop everywhere and have a look around admiring the things. So much food, free special Maltese sweets to taste, Maltese wines in small bottles and of course the Maltese souvenirs. In Malta it's still season for tourists, so it was a big selection of ashtrays, snowglobes, glasses for shots, photo frames etc with title of Malta or Valletta. Everything what heart desires.
I missed my camera. Again. Yes I know I could take it with myself. There are no possible excuses as I'm already back in Malta, where I left it. But I'm just a lazy person and I was not able to carry it to be honest. I could make a lot of colorful pictures, shame on me - shame on me! But just to make it amends, I took some with my mobile phone. The quality is shitty as mobile devices are ok for daily pictures, but the night photos with the flash are quite bad. However try to use your imagination and creativity to think of how could it look like. :)
On the squares there were several performances, like a dance shows of the local youth or bands playing on the stages. I have documentation about these as well in the form of video. Below you can see.
I had my favourits during this night. The walking fairy-tale princesses were caressing my princess-soul and made my sensitive heart to beat faster. Yes, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Princess Jasmine, The Little Mermaid and the others were just suddenly all standing in front of me. At least for a minute I could feel I'm one of them as well: Tangeled with my blond long hair, hehe :)

So here are coming the pictures and videos, enjoy them:
Picture about Valletta
Right at the entrance I meet a Princess and Smurfette - what a luck :)
 

Little bit of art and colors...



Malta Dance Group




The cigarettes, the hamburger and the candies.




After so much time spent in Malta, I finally entered a Maltese church
Retro MusicShop
Retro MusicShop
















Night-lights on the streets...





Rest, for the end :)
The promised videos...






No comments:

Post a Comment